Hosting an International Student should be fun for the whole family. You are excited and nervous for them to come. They are excited and nervous to come. Here are some tips to make the most of your time together.
1. Before you sign up, make sure the whole family is on board with hosting. It will mean changes for everyone. If you have older children, they will need to be open to having your student tag along. Younger kids may need reminders that the student will need some quiet downtime! Make sure that both mom and dad are also prepared for a teenager in the home and what their roles will be.
2. Think about where your student will sleep. Will he or she need to share a room? Is your son or daughter willing to share his or her personal space for the 2-4 weeks your student is here? Will your student stay in a guest room? Does that mean that no out of town relatives can visit during that time? Where will he keep his personal belongings? The more you have ready and planned, the more welcome your student will feel.
3. Are you willing and able to add the expense of another person in your home for 2-4 weeks? Students will come with spending money, but we ask that each host family provide 3 meals a day, a loving home and a place to sleep.
4. Try to communicate in some form before your student arrives. The parents of the student will feel relieved to know more about the family that will be hosting their precious child. Having an idea of what the student looks like and giving them an idea of what you look like makes arrival that much more fun also!
5. Have fun! You don’t need to over think or over plan. Just enjoy your time together, learning about each other and creating a bond that you will always remember!