| || |
Are you still deciding if your family should host an international student this summer? Here are five reasons that should help you resolve your dilemma.
1. International Students are just as excited to be here as you are to have them-Students who come in from different countries worldwide are looking for an eye-opening cultural experience and want to learn about “real” America from “real” Americans. These students say goodbye to their families, friends, and everything they know for this amazing learning experience. It’s an exciting opportunity to be that “real” American family!
2. Learn a new language-Your student will be happy to teach you and your children a few words and phrases while staying with your family. If your children are studying another language in school, this is tremendous motivation for them to genuinely practice and learn new languages.
3. Improve your understanding and appreciation of a new culture-When you host an international student, you’re not only opening up your home for this student to learn about America, you’re also opening up possibilities for you and your family to learn about your student’s culture. When living together, you will be able to ask them questions and find out about how life in his country is different and similar to ours.
4. Make new friends-When hosting an international student, you will have an opportunity to make an international friend. In addition, you will meet other like-minded folks that are also hosting in your own community and increase your friendship community. Your children will have an opportunity to meet other teens from other countries as well.
5. Learn-Do things you have never done before! Experience entirely new things. Put yourself outside your comfort zone by sharing your daily life with a new friend. Who doesn’t love to learn? As they always say, you learn something new every day. Forget that; try two, three, ten new things every day. You will learn about another culture and language….without leaving the comfort of your home. If you have children, they will gain a broader perspective on the world, learning more about geography, communication and international cultures. Learn through friendship – not virtual, real “in the here and now” friendship.
We can promise that hosting an international student will be an experience you won’t regret!